Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My Diving Trip

Last weekend, I went to east coast alone, heading for my ideal getaway place...the Perhentian Kecil island. Tiring and exhausted for working months and months without any holiday...I planned to go for a diving license...Yup...thats one of my dream since primary six. I took up an open water diver course which caused me around RM 1000...(thats the price in west Malaysia). Right after working hour around 5pm i went back to have my dinner and packed up my stuffs heading for bus terminal. The bus ticket I boarded was 8pm...I almost late that night because I need to settle my house rental with the owner as she was leaving for Singapore...So coincidence..phiu!!

My journey took me 9 hours to reach Jerteh, Terengganu. Not so bad cause I slept all the way...as usual right?after working for long hours...a good rest is necessary...Besides, one of the rules before diving is adequate rest.Thats what I did. When I reached Jerteh, I called the agent to pick me up and she drove me to the jetty. Her name was Mrs Shikin. She 's quite nice and friendly.

Being unspoiled island lie amidst exquisitely clear waters, Pulau Perhentian Kecil (Small Perhentian) aptly named after "henti"(stop) as fishermen from mainland Kelantan and Terengganu have, for centuries, stopped over at the island for a rest or to shelter during a major storm. Teluk Aur (also known as Coral Bay) was the place I'm heading. Although it is not as attractive as Long Beach, but it is not so crowded - yet. There are good corals for snorkelling in the bay and around the short beach behind the Rajawali Resort. Further more you can get a great view of the breathtaking Perhentian sunsets here.

The accommodation here not available for reservation, just for walk in basis. Thus, I only have my room that day...luckily not ended up sleeping in the classroom...Hehe. After unloaded my stuffs, I went to the dive center (Steffen Dive Center) to meet my instructor. >>>>>> My first dive buddy was Emma, an Australian girl around mid 20s. She's traveling around the world and Malaysia still wasn't her last stop. Guess what...she's gonna make her way to northern part...Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam...etc. Thats still a long way.

During these 3 days trip, I managed to go for 5 dives...that was really funtastic and challenging. My first dive was a real challenge for me cause I cant equalize my pressure and ended up with sinus pain. My instructor kept on guiding me and finally I managed to do so underwater. My effort paid off when I saw my first favourite fish..gu
ess what...the 'pufferfish'. That wasn't an ordinary size of pufferfish but a gigantic puffer...it was measured around 90-100 cm (almost a meter). Fu-yoh...I wonder what it look like when bloated up. Haha..but I daren't to trigger it. Perhaps other divers may have some interesting experience?
Continue...